Chaat is typically a savory type street food available in different parts of India.The original chaat is a mixture of potato pieces,chickpeas,Dried yellow or green peas.
Some common elements used in chaat are yogurt,chopped onion,cilantro/coriander leaves,sev(small dried yellow noodles),chaat masala.These ingredients are combined and served on a small plate.
Today in my recipe i am just using dried green peas ,some Indian spices to make it protein rich,tasty and healthy snack.
Time 20 Minutes
1/2 Cup Dry Green peas or yellow peas (Washed,soaked overnight and pressure cook with salt,bay leaf for 4 whistles then set a side.)
1/2 Onion chopped
2 medium tomato paste
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
1 tbsp choley masala
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp oil
1/2 onion finely chopped
4 lemon wedge
1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 tbsp tamarind chutney
Panch Puran(5 spice mix) :
It is a combination of cumin seeds,nigella seeds,meethi seeds,mustard seeds and fennel.You can get this in any Indian grocery.
4 red chilli
- Heat a non stick pan and dry roast the panch phoron seeds and red chilies on low flame till the seeds turn into golden brown.
- Allow them to cool , make a spice powder in a blender and store the powder in a air tight container.
Procedure for greenpea chat:
- Heat a pan with oil add onions saute for a min and then add tomato paste fry till the raw flavour is gone.
- Then add choley masala,tamarind pulp,cooked green peas and half a teaspoon of panch phoron spice powder.Add little water and bring it to a boil.
- Serve hot and garnish with onion,cilantro,tamarind chutney,Sev.